Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sad news... the Entourage eDGe has been discontinued :-(

The Entourage eDGe, may she rest in peace :-(
Many have seen me using my eDGe in class and have heard me talk about her amazing features. Honestly, I think the eDGe has to be one of the greatest devices created for academics, so you can imagine my dismay when I went to their website today and discovered that the Entourage eDGe is no more!!!

Reviewers are talking about how having both an eInk reader screen and an Android powered LCD made it too heavy and too expensive. I have to disagree completely. Devices, like the IPAD for example, may be lighter weight, but they are much more costly and are not nearly as functional as the eDGe. The eDGe allows me to read pdf and epub files and annotate them with a stylus. I can then re-save the file in pdf form with my annotations. And that's just the reader functions! There's also the note pad, not to mention android applications, Docs to Go, audio recorder and a lot more!

I just can't imagine not having mine and I think it's a real loss that they've been discontinued. I just hope someone in the near future picks up where they left off and advertises better! I think this reflects on our society's priorities... we have all these gadgets that are so expensive and yet do great because they cater to our obsessive need for entertainment. Meanwhile, a device that caters to the academic fails. Oh well, I guess I'm just glad I have mine. Still a sad day in my book... :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment