Wednesday, August 31, 2011

First Day of Class...Epic Fail!!

So yeah.... I was very excited for my first class. It's on a topic that I'm personally very interested in (Medieval/Early Modern Nuns) and I loved the reading. To make sure I was really prepared I read it twice and I had all kinds of thoughts and notes. Then I got to class and I froze!!! It may have been all the experienced grad students in the room, it may have been that the professor is also my adviser (meaning a little more pressure, at least in my mind), or that I ended up sitting right next to him --- regardless of the reason though --- I froze. Suddenly everything I had thought seemed really stupid. So I proceeded to spend 3 hours with "Say this... no that's stupid... oh shit you should have said that - she just said it and it sounded good... well say this... no that's stupid" running through my head.  Anyone who's ever taken classes with me before knows that's so not like me! I'm usually very vocal, not at all intimidated, and basically fearless about contributing. When class ended I was so frustrated and then, to make matters worse, my professor says "you need to talk next time Kimberly." Yep - epic fail. 

So walking home I beat myself up and I tossed and turned all night. This morning I decided to text my mentors, because they're the only people I know who've ever been to grad school and they know me well enough to know that not talking in class is not like me. Thank goodness I did - she calmed me down, helped me to realize 1 bad class is not that big of a deal, and restored my confidence. I've just never felt so out of my league before - but as she said "remember they chose you and you can do this!" So with a little restored confidence I will be going to my second graduate class today at 3 - Advanced Feminist Theory - and I seriously hope it goes better than last night!

2 comments:

  1. You will do great!! I had the same experience last night. I started the Fast Track Program and last night was my first grad class, Sociology of the Family. I was so intimidated by everyone else in the room. However, the professor remembered me from her undergrad course. She not only remembered my face, but my name. Not to shabby for a class I took 18 months ago and then ended up having to drop it due to other course demands. Don't worry to much because you will get adjusted and fit right in. You are a brilliant person and I know that you will do an awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy - I appreciate your vote of confidence! Today went much better, so I know you're right. Good luck with your grad class too - I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete